LG Electronics has taken the wraps off of its highly anticipated new premium flagship smartphone, the LG G3. Already well received by key wireless carriers around the globe, the LG G3 will begin rolling out this summer with more than 170 wireless carrier partners worldwide, including major U.S. carriers and retailers, such as T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile specialty stores.
“With the LG G3, we’ve developed a premium smartphone that provides a one-of-a-kind simple and intuitive user experience,” said Morris Lee, senior vice president and head of North American sales and marketing for LG MobileComm, the maker of the acclaimed G smartphone series, LG G Pad 8.3 tablet and innovative, curved LG G Flex smartphone.
“The LG G3’s noteworthy innovations – outperforming the impressive advancements of its predecessor, the popular LG G2 – include our new Quad HD display, a first for smartphones in the U.S., our exclusive Laser Autofocus camera for quicker, sharper photos, LG Knock Code for enhanced security and a new optimized user interface with predictive, adaptive technology. We expect these attributes to make LG G3 a top competitor in the premium smartphone category, further solidifying LG’s role as a strong Top 3 player in the U.S. market,” Lee said.
According to Strategy Analytics’ first-quarter 2014 smartphone shipment data, LG holds a strong number 3 market share in the United States. Building on the acclaim of the premium G series, the LG G2 has set the stage for the LG G3’s expected widespread success in the U.S., Lee said.
Under the banner “Simple is the New Smart,” LG last week celebrated the global launch of the LG G3 in major launch events in six cities on four continents. More than 150 event attendees in New York and San Francisco, and thousands of viewers online, tuned into the live stream of the official global press briefing held in London for the global introduction of LG G3.
U.S. VIPs, analysts and journalists in attendance were among the first in the world to experience the LG G3’s 5.5-inch Quad HD display, which provides an unparalleled smartphone viewing experience while being designed to easily fit in the palm of your hand. LG G3’s Quad HD IPS display (2,560 x 1,440 resolution) boasts over 3.8 million pixels, four times the resolution of many of today’s HD smartphones for incredible, life-like detail.
For the first time, U.S. smartphone aficionados had the chance to experience the LG G3’s innovative new features during the hands-on demonstrations in New York and San Francisco.
The world’s first smartphone with Laser Auto Focus and Tap to Shoot, the LG G3 allowed them take picture-perfect shots using its 13-megapixel rear-facing camera with OIS+ technology. Alongside the camera demo stations, LG’s new, simplified user experience was on display, spotlighting its new Smart Keyboard, Smart Notice and Smart Security features:
- Smart Keyboard: Adaptive technology learns as you type for faster input with fewer mistakes. Smart Keyboard reduces input errors by tracking and analyzing typing habits and intuitively “knowing” what word the user intended to type. The height of the keyboard can also be adjusted to better fit the user’s hands and position of the thumbs. Individual keys can also be customized with frequently used symbols for even faster input.
- Smart Notice: Like a personal assistant, LG’s Smart Notice provides suggestions and recommendations based on user behavior, phone usage patterns and location to offer user information when it’s needed the most. Smart Notice can remind you of a call you declined earlier and ask if you would like to call that person back. If you have a large number of unused files or apps on the LG G3 taking up valuable space, Smart Notice will ask if you would like to delete or uninstall them. What sets Smart Notice apart from other personal assistants is its natural language capabilities. For example, instead of just displaying today’s temperature and weather forecast, Smart Notice will make a recommendation such as, “You may want to take an umbrella today since it will rain this evening.”
- Smart Security: Understanding the importance of maintaining and securing confidential data when smartphones are shared, misplaced, lost or stolen, the LG G3 offers a number of enhanced security features such as Knock Code and Content Lock:
- Knock CodeTM enables users to unlock their device with a pattern of taps. Merging security and convenience, users can create a personalized code that can be entered anywhere on the screen. With the LG G3, users have the option of being able to use KnockON to wake the screen to check the time or enter the home screen directly via Knock Code.
- Content Lock* keeps images and video safe and hidden when enabling the lock feature. When the LG G3 is connected to a PC, Content Lock prevents file previews so the data is still safe. The locked images and videos can reside either on LG G3’s internal memory or on the microSD card.
A collection of new premium accessories (sold separately) previewed last week include:
- Quick Circle™ Case: Available in five colors, Quick Circle allows for simple, one-tap access to six frequently used smartphone functions, including calls, text messages, music, camera, all without having to open the case.
- LG Tone Infinim™ (HBS-900): Developed in collaboration with Harman/Kardon, LG Tone Infinim delivers premium audio quality sound in a stylish design highlighted by sleek curves and a glossy metallic finish. The Tone Infinim™ provides users with LG’s innovative retractable wire management technology that leaves no exposed wires to tangle. The Bluetooth stereo is also equipped with a jog button to fast forward and rewind effortlessly, as well as a sound and vibration alert function to inform of incoming messages, current time and battery status. While Tone Infinim is compatible with all smart devices with Bluetooth, it is particularly optimized for LG’s upcoming G3 smartphone. Name Alert™, which announces the name or phone number of the calling party, is one feature that is only available to G3 owners.
- Wireless Charger: Compact and ready-to-go, LG’s Wireless Charger is optimized for easy portability. The Wireless Charger is compatible with Qi’s wireless power charging technology, making charging LG G3 even more convenient.
Key LG G3 Specifications**:
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 801 (up to 2.5GHz Quad-Core)
- Display: 5.5-inch Quad HD IPS (2560 x 1440, 538ppi)
- Memory: 32GB eMMC ROM / 3GB DDR3 RAM / microSD slot (128GB)
- Camera: Rear 13.0MP with OIS+ and Laser Auto Focus, Dual LED Flash / Front 2.1MP
- Battery: 3,000mAh (removable)
- Operating System: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Size: 146.3 x 74.6 x 8.95mm
- Weight: 149.8g
- Network: 4G / LTE / HSPA+ 21 Mbps / CDMA
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0 LE (APT-X) NFC, SlimPort,
- GPS/Glonass, USB 2.0 HS
- Colors: Metallic Black, Silk White, Shine Gold, Moon Violet, Burgundy Red
- Other: 1 Watt Speaker with Boost Amp, Smart Keyboard, Smart Notice, Knock Code, Guest Mode,*** etc.
To sign up for more information and to know when LG G3 will be available in the U.S., please visit www.LG.com/US/G3. Join in on the conversation on Facebook or follow LG on Twitter @LGUSAMobile using the hashtag #LGG3 to tell us what you think about one of the most highly-anticipated devices this year.
*Some owner content may still be accessible to a user that enables Content Lock.
**Specifications may vary depending on the market.
***Some owner content and information may still be accessible to a user in Guest Mode.
About LG Electronics MobileComm USA, Inc.
LG Electronics MobileComm USA, Inc., based in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., is the U.S. sales subsidiary of LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company, a global innovator and trend leader in the global mobile communications industry. LG is driving the evolution of mobile forward with its highly competitive core technologies in the areas of display, battery and camera optics and strategic partnerships with noted industry leaders. LG’s consumer-centric products ― including the flagship premium G Series models ― incorporate unique, ergonomic designs and intuitive UX features that enhance the user experience. The company remains committed to leading consumers into the era of convergence, maximizing inter-device connectivity between smartphones, tablets and a wide range of home and portable electronics products. For more information, please visit www.LG.com.