Immersive Exhibits to Demonstrate the Impact of Mobile Technology from Partners Including Huawei, KT Corporation, Oral B, Peel, Pittasoft, Qualcomm Incorporated, Thinfilm and Visa
The GSMA today announced further details on the GSMA Innovation City, which is being held at Mobile World Congress Shanghai and builds on last year’s popular Connected City exhibit. The showcase, which is now in its third year, invites visitors to explore a real-life city environment packed with intelligent mobile-connected products and services that demonstrate how mobile technology is positively impacting the personal and professional lives of citizens from across the globe. Attendees have the opportunity to meet with leading mobile experts and try out real-world technologies from a number of diverse sectors including automotive and transport, retail and commerce, home, health, work, gaming and even robotics. The dynamic exhibition will also feature emerging devices as well as demonstrations of the future of mobile networks.
“The GSMA Innovation City demonstrates how mobile connectivity is driving significant and positive change for citizens, businesses and economies from around the world and we are excited to welcome guests to experience the current and future possibilities enabled by mobile.”
“Mobile connectivity is creating much richer, smarter products services and experiences, benefiting all of us. From the moment we wake up to the moment we go to sleep, the number of interactions we have with mobile technology, from mobile payments to connected cars, is astonishing,” said Michael O’Hara, Chief Marketing Officer, GSMA. “The GSMA Innovation City demonstrates how mobile connectivity is driving significant and positive change for citizens, businesses and economies from around the world and we are excited to welcome guests to experience the current and future possibilities enabled by mobile.”
Showcasing New Connected Experiences
The GSMA Innovation City will include interactive demonstrations from partners including Huawei, KT Corporation, Peel, Pittasoft, Oral B, Qualcomm Incorporated, Thin Film Electronics ASA “Thinfilm” and Visa, as well as from the GSMA’s key industry programmes including Connected Living, Digital Commerce, Personal Data and Network 2020.
GSMA partner experiences on display in the Innovation City include:
- Huawei endeavors to build a better connected world enhancing interconnectivity between people and people, people and things, and things and things, to spark infinite opportunities and potential for everyone everywhere in building a better connected world. At Innovation City, Huawei will showcase connected home, connected public, connected industry, and much more.
- KT, a leading global communications company, will showcase its range of technologies that will help start-up companies in the 5G era.
- KT will present technologies that are fundamental to the Internet of Things such as modules, V-touch technology, LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System), an Iris recognition payment system, a voice transmitting system for noisy areas and much more.
- For over 60 years, Oral-B has lead the innovation in oral care technology improving the oral health of consumers around the globe. At the GSMA Innovation City, Oral-B will showcase:
- The new Oral-B iBrush Oral-B SmartSeries Bluetooth Toothbrush that aims to establish a new standard for personal daily oral care by providing real-time feedback and brushing customization. iBrush is an example of Oral-B’s mission for a more personalized experience. In the future, Oral-B will continue its innovation in oral care technology through various platforms, and deliver more intelligent and personalized oral care.
- Peel turns smartphones into a universal remote control. At the GSMA Innovation City, Peel will demonstrate the Peel Smart Remote app and platform that aims to revolutionise the home entertainment and home control experience by integrating device control for live or streamed content discovery.
- At the GSMA Innovation City, Pittasoft will showcase its groundbreaking BlackVue dashboard camera technology. Visitors will experience:
- Connected car dashboard camera technology with Full HD 2-channel Wi-Fi-enabled cameras
- BlackVue Over the Cloud for instant access to playback, live view, two-way voice communication and publishing to video-sharing sites, as well as peace of mind with emergency alarm, GPS tracking and backup of important footage.
- Qualcomm, now celebrating 30 years of invention and partnership, will be showcasing how it is building the connectivity fabric for the Internet of Everything, including smart city and automotive solutions, robotics, LTE Direct and LTE in unlicensed spectrum, as well as a number of its Chinese portfolio company partners.
- Thinfilm is a global leader in the development and commercialization of printed electronics and smart systems, and its mission is to help power the Internet of Things (IoT) by extending intelligence and communications to the consumables level. Visitors will experience how printed electronics can help make everyday items – such as drinks, shoes and apparel – “just smart enough” and create a truly connected world.
- Visa will demonstrate connected car commerce, a proof-of-concept online/mobile payment service designed for on-the-go consumers:
- The connected car will combine payment security, cellular and wireless technologies to test connected car consumer payment experiences.
- The demonstration features Visa Checkout, the online payment service integrated into the dash of a car that lets consumers easily order and pay for food from the car with just a few clicks. The demonstration of connected car commerce is a first of its kind in the industry. While the initial focus is on ordering food at a quick service restaurant, the technology can also be applied to other everyday consumer purchases such as gasoline, transit and parking and drive-through retail opportunities.
GSMA Programme Showcase
The GSMA Innovation City will give visitors the opportunity to listen to the stories of four ‘virtual’ connected citizens who will explain how mobile connectivity is having a positive and beneficial impact on their lives via a series of immersive videos. The digital stories demonstrate how the GSMA’s key programmes relate to exhibits in the city and will encourage guests to explore areas that are of interest to them. The GSMA and its partners will demonstrate solutions highlighting the impact of mobile technology through a number of engaging exhibits including:
- Virtual Reality @ Innovation City – Enter a unique virtual reality world. Oculus Rift headsets will allow visitors to enter the mobile network, viewing it from the inside, taking in the expanding world of connected devices and services.
- Connected Car – Experience the future of the connected car with Tesla.
- Connected Golf @ Innovation City – Test out your golf skills with connected golf products that provide detailed information on your technique and performance at the GSMA Innovation City’s golf course.
- Mobile Connect – Experience the GSMA’s Mobile Connect service powered by operators including China Unicom, Digi and Telefónica. See how you can use a mobile device to securely authenticate and connect to digital services without having to remember a username or password again.
- Connected Technology Showcase – Test and try a number of the latest innovative connected products such as wearables, fitness trackers, heart monitors, GPS tracking monitors for children and the elderly, a connected suitcase for real-time location tracking, connected tennis racquets, a cleaning robot, a connected vacuum cleaner and more.
- Mobile Wallet – Experience China Mobile ‘He Bao’ NFC, a mobile payment service based on the NFC-SWP standard, enabling users of the network’s phones to add their bankcard information to the app and make payment transactions simply by tapping their phone against a Quick Pass terminal.
- Mobile Couponing – Try out a mobile couponing and customer loyalty service using the new collaborative initiative between Italy’s four main operators, H3G, Telecom Italia, Vodafone and Wind, the service provider Konvergence, and two retailers, Bennet and PAM Panorama.
- Enriched Calling – The GSMA’s Network 2020 programme and partners including Comverse, D2, Huawei and Summit Tech will demonstrate how Voice over LTE (VoLTE) and Rich Communications Services (RCS) can enrich calling services in the retail and automotive industries.
GSMA Innovation City Location
The GSMA Innovation City will be located in Hall 4 (West 4 B130 and E130) and will be open during Mobile World Congress Shanghai exhibition hours from Wednesday 15th to Friday 17th July. For more information, visit www.mwcshanghai.com/innovation-city-experience-centre/.
Get Involved at Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2015
For more information on the 2015 Mobile World Congress Shanghai including how to exhibit or sponsor, visit www.mwcshanghai.com. Follow developments and updates on Mobile World Congress Shanghai through our social media channels – use #MWCS15 on Twitter and follow us at @GSMA, or get regular updates through our LinkedIn Showcase Page. In China, you can follow us on Sina Weibo http://weibo.com/mwcshanghai or on the GSMA account on WeChat.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting nearly 800 operators with more than 250 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and Internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai and the Mobile 360 Series conferences.
For more information, please visit the GSMA corporate website at www.gsma.com. Follow the GSMA on Twitter: @GSMA.