Samsung Electronics today announced the SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud™, an open data exchange platform designed to connect devices and applications. The SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud provides easy-to-use, open APIs and tools to securely collect, store, and act on any data from any connected device or cloud service. Using these APIs and tools, companies can quickly bring new Internet of Things (IoT) solutions and services to market, tap into new revenue streams, and grow their business. The SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud is commercially available today with a tiered pricing model that developers can start using it for free at artik.cloud.
The SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud, along with the previously announced SAMSUNG ARTIK™ family of integrated IoT modules, enables faster and simpler development of new enterprise, industrial, and consumer applications. The SAMSUNG ARTIK modules and SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud are an open platform including a best-in-class family of integrated production-ready modules, advanced software, development boards, drivers, tools, security features, and cloud.
“Our vision for the ARTIK platform is an end-to-end experience that reduces the obstacles, challenges, and time-to-market for IoT solutions,” said Young Sohn, President & Chief Strategy Officer, Samsung Electronics. “We’re excited to announce the SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud after three years of development and feedback from hundreds of developers. Unlike many other IoT cloud platforms, ARTIK Cloud breaks down data siloes between devices and enables a new class of IoT applications and services. The launch of this exciting new platform not only signals Samsung’s foray into the cloud services market but reinforces our belief that, by creating powerful open platforms, we can harness the information generated by IoT to develop new insights and new approaches to address the major global challenges of today and tomorrow.”
Companies face numerous challenges when connecting different devices and cloud services together into unified experiences. These challenges include: collecting data from a diverse set of devices using a variety of protocols; enabling legacy, new, and third-party devices and cloud services to interact with each other with minimal effort; storing data from siloed devices in a single location and deriving meaningful insights; managing data security and privacy; and providing developers with easy-to-use APIs and tools.
“As more and more consumer IoT devices are created and brought to market, the need for interoperability becomes paramount as it is the key to creating more compelling and integrated experiences. The need for an open cloud solution that can work with any connected device, and with other cloud services is critical for broader consumer adoption,” said BK Yoon, President and CEO of Samsung Electronics. “The launch of ARTIK Cloud is extremely exciting because it promises to not only help Samsung connect our diverse portfolio of products, but also enable other companies to participate in a growing IoT ecosystem.”
“SmartThings believes that having integrated experiences within one unified application will simplify the user experience across a wide range of devices and services,” said Alex Hawkinson, CEO of SmartThings. “It is hugely beneficial that the new Samsung ARTIK Cloud can easily add more devices and services that SmartThings users can immediately take advantage of. As SmartThings continues to expand our offering beyond the home, open solutions like ARTIK Cloud can bring more devices into our open ecosystem as we aim to deliver even more IoT benefits to our customers together.”
How SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud Empowers IoT Developers and Enterprise Customers
The SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud makes it extremely easy to connect all devices – those powered by ARTIK modules and by other modules. Using SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud, companies can securely collect, store, and act on any data from any connected device or cloud service. With easy-to-use, open APIs to ingest and query data, and powerful tools to visualize and act on the data, ARTIK Cloud empowers developers and solution providers to build new innovative IoT apps and services.
The SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud is highly scalable, with an architecture designed to support the billions of IoT devices expected in the next few years, while keeping latency low to enabling fast interactions. Key features of ARTIK Cloud include:
Device and Data Interoperability: Easily enable devices to communicate with other devices or cloud services.
- Device Manifests: Rapidly onboard any device using a universal language to describe device states and actions.
- Multi-Protocol Connectors: Connect any device to the cloud using multiple protocols – REST/HTTP, Websockets, MQTT, and CoAP.
- Cloud Connectors: Connect to any cloud service and collect data from it.
- Heterogeneous Data Collection: Collect any data (continuous, discrete, real time, or historical) from any device or 3rd party cloud.
- Two Way Communication: Securely exchange messages between device and cloud, even on low power devices such as wearables and end-node sensors.
- Data Normalization and Analytics: Gain fast access to data, statistics, and aggregations with multiple backends to store, replicate, and index data.
Security & Privacy: Secure device, app, and user interactions and protect data privacy
- Secure Device Registration: Securely connect devices to the cloud using TLS, secure element, and certificates issued by a trusted certificate authority.
- Authentication and Authorization: Secure every device, app, and user interaction with open Internet standards based authentication and authorization.
- Privacy Management: Protect data privacy with built-in identity and permissions management.
Developer Tools: Empower developers to build new IoT apps using easy-to-use, open APIs, SDKs, and tools
- Universal Data Access APIs: Collect, and query data from disparate devices using easy-to-use, open APIs.
- Rules Engine: Easily trigger cross-device actions and alerts with a powerful built in rules engine.
- Visualization Tools: Visualize data from disparate devices in context.
- Developer Portal: Increase developer productivity with self-service access to rich API documentation, API console, blogs, samples, forums, and more.
- API-first: Manage and extend platform entities using built-in REST APIs.
Companies are reimagining how data from many connected devices can be used to build innovative apps and services. Legrand, a global leader in electrical and digital building infrastructures, is working with Samsung to connect the Legrand Cloud platform to the SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud to drive the Internet of Things revolution in the building sector.
“Legrand is excited to partner with SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud to enable new smart solutions for buildings,” said Ernesto Santini, Legrand VP Innovation and Systems. “To be connected to the ARTIK Cloud is another step in our openness strategy, which aims to make Legrand’s legacy devices and new smart devices interoperable with other connected products, and increases the value we deliver to our users.”
Digibe Software is also embracing IoT and the SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud. The company delivers products for the industrial Internet helping customers optimize assets and connect data from machines, databases and people in meaningful ways. “Digibe is excited to partner with ARTIK Cloud to connect the worlds of IoT and enterprise collaboration,” said Pierre Lecointre, co-founder and CTO of Digibe. “The APIs and developer tools in ARTIK Cloud helped us deliver, in less than 2 months, a solution to access siloed IoT asset data and trigger collaboration to address anomalies – directly from Salesforce.”
Any company – enterprises, start-ups, device makers, IoT operators, and developers – can initially start using the SAMSUNG ARTIK Cloud for free by visiting artik.cloud. Using simple pay-as-you-go tiered pricing, customers can upgrade to the tier of service that’s right for them.
Samsung is currently working with select enterprise customers. If you would like enterprise pricing, please contact us at artik.cloud/pricing.